Matt and Mandy Pisarek learned they were drinking water from lead pipes by accident.
If they hadn’t called the city about water pressure problems, if Mandy’s pregnancy hadn’t made her husband “paranoid,” he says, they never would have discovered the lead.
“[The city] said the pipes on the street were replaced in the ’70s, but the pipes going from their demarcation point to the house was still lead piping. And that was our responsibility to fix.”
Source: http://globalnews.ca/news/2474102/lead-in-the-water-tens-of-thousands-of-canadian-households-still-have-toxic-pipes/ By Anna Mehler Paperny, Senior Producer, Investigative Data Desk Global News